Peonies are my favorite flower (well, mine and every other girl out there). Their perfectly round buds open to a lush, pillow of countless petals and their scent is absolutely intoxicating. They were definitely given all the good flower genes. So when I found a recipe for a peony sugar scrub, I immediately tested it out, loved it, and had to share it with my peony-loving friends.
All you need is a handful of petals to capture the fragrance and beautiful color of this scrub. In a mortar and pestle, I ground up a few of the petals along with a tablespoon of sugar before I put everything in the food processor. While it's not included in the recipe directions, I recommend this step just to watch the petal oil release into the sugar and to smell the sweet, earthy fragrance of the two melded together.
This scrub is easy to make and perfect to use or gift someone during the summer months. I also love the few drops of orange essential oil because combined with the fresh peony petals, it reminds me of orange blossom, and I love orange blossom. The best part? You'll have fragrant, smooth, silky, exfoliated skin after each use! Please go and buy a peony bouquet (or two, because packing peonies like sardines in a vase is a thing), pull a few petals off of your most vibrant bloom, and make this scrub!
* * * * *
PEONY SUGAR HAND & BODY SCRUB
(Recipe by 101 Easy Homemade Products for your Skin, Health, & Home)
- Handful of fresh peony petals
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 to 3 Tbsp of sunflower or another light oil
- 3 drops of orange essential oil (optional -- I use Young Living)
- Place the peony petals and sugar in the bowl of a food processor.
- Blend until an even texture and color is achieved.
- Spread the peony sugar in a single layer over wax paper to air dry for a day or two.
- Place the dried peony sugar in a small mixing bowl and add oil, 1 tbsp at a time, stirring after each addition.
- Add 3 drops of orange essential oil
- Store in a tightly sealed container, out of direct heat and sunlight. The scrub should stay fresh for several months as long as no water gets in the jar.
- Apply scrub to damp skin and exfoliate all dry spots. Rinse well with warm water.